English as a second language
* * *English as a second language: the study of English by nonnative speakers in an English-speaking environment. Cf. EFL.
* * *abbrevEnglish as a second language
* * *ESL UK [ˌiː es ˈel] US [ˌi es ˈel] noun [uncountable]English as a Second Language: English taught to people whose first language is not English, but who live in an English-speaking country and need English to communicate in daily life. This term is used especially in the US, Canada, and Australia.Thesaurus: english language teaching and learninghyponymSee also: EAL
* * *ESL (no periods),English as a second language: »
ESL texts, ESL programs.
* * *abbr. English as a second language
* * */ˌiːˌɛsˈɛl/ noun [noncount]: the teaching of English to people who speak a different language and who live in a country where English is the main language spoken◇ ESL is an abbreviation of “English as a second language.”
* * *ESL [ESL] [ˌiː es ˈel] [ˌiː es ˈel] abbreviation(in the US and Canada) English as a second language (refers to the teaching of English as a foreign language to people who are living in a country in which English is either the first or second language)
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
ESL TV — Allgemeine Informationen Empfang: Internet Stream Länder: Deutschland Eigentümer: Turtle Entertainment TV GmbH … Deutsch Wikipedia
ESL — [ˌi: es ˈel] n [U] English as a Second Language the teaching of English to people, who are living in an English speaking country, but whose first language is not English … Dictionary of contemporary English
ESL — [ ,i es el ] noun uncount English as a Second Language: the activity of teaching English to people whose first language is not English, but who live in an English speaking country … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
ESL — (English as a Second Language) English teaching program designed for non native speakers … English contemporary dictionary
ESL — ► ABBREVIATION ▪ English as a second language … English terms dictionary
ESL — abbrev. English as a second language … English World dictionary
ESL — Die Abkürzung ESL steht für: Elektronenstrahllithografie Electronic Sports League, eine Wettkampf Liga für Computerspiele Electronic System Level Design, eine der Abstraktionsebenen bei der Beschreibung von Funktionalitäten digitaler… … Deutsch Wikipedia
ESL — [[t]i͟ː es e̱l[/t]] ESL is taught to people whose native language is not English but who live in a society in which English is the main language or one of the main languages. ESL is an abbreviation for English as a second language … English dictionary
ESL — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. ESL peut référer à : Electronic Sports League Electrochemical and Solid State Letters, un journal scientifique Catégorie : Homonymie … Wikipédia en Français
ESL — European Sales Lists all businesses registered for VAT that supply goods to businesses registered for VAT in other EU Member States must send HMRC lists of their EU supplies. Other Member States use the information provided on the European Sales… … Financial and business terms